The Peddlers

Search:
Latest Update

31 January 2021

Addition to Galleries Page - Personal Collection.  Thanks to Dave Stewart.

7 July 2020

Addition to Galleries page - Peddlers on Dutch TV.  Thanks to Terry Sinett.

13 May 2020

Thanks to Terry Sinnett for additions to Galleries page.

10 October 2018

Great New Roy Phillips album, "Standard Procedure 1"

A set of songs given the classic Peddlers treatment includes "Summertime", "Got My Mojo Working", "Let It Be" and a live version of "My Way" recorded in 1974 by the Peddlers in Amsterdam.

now available from Roy's website

www.royphillips.org  

8 April 2017

Thanks to our friend Bas Mollenkramer for these images of the ultra rare

French release of 'Suite London'

See Galleries

8 March 2013

New image sent in by Jurgen Degasperi!

See Galleries

13 July 2012

Live Photos 1976-1980

See Galleries

15 June 2012

'Southern Woman'

TV clip added to Discography

See 'Birthday'

5 June 2012

New Gallery Page

6 Sept 2007

Ladies and gentlemen,
The Peddlers

24 Sept 2007 

Roy's New CD

Dancing With Shadows

19 August 2006

Suite London

15 April 2006

'Suite London' now on cd! Order here    

7 March 2006

Tis' here enjoy

Click the above link for Roy Phillip's new album! and DVD

Peddlers Forum

[Add a reply]Add a reply
*Back to index

Chat about The Peddlers

Heavy on the Light Side
David Ross
16 March 2004
14:58:03

[quote in reply]

Does anybody know anything about a Roy Phillips album called Heavy on the Light Side? I've been a Peddlers fan for many years now and saw them live in Liverpool when Paul Johnson had taken over from Tab Martin, probably in 1973 or 1974. When I came to live in Bournemouth in Dorset a few years later, I was fascinated to find that Roy Phillips was a local lad and had been employed at Southernprint, which was associated with The Bournemouth Echo, the newspaper I worked for. I never got to meet Roy but was introduced to his cousin, who very kindly gave me a signed copy of an LP called Heavy on the Light Side which Roy had presumably recorded just after his days with the Peddlers. It wasn't in the best of condition even then and the word "Sample" was scribbled on the back of the sleeve. I was given to understand that this was just a test pressing and that the album had yet to be commercially released. For years this old vinyl album has been gathering dust in my loft but a friend at work (who once worked with Roy) has been good enough to transfer it to CD for me, painstakingly ironing out many of the pops and crackles. It's been marvellous hearing it again after all these years but I'd love to learn more about the recording and whether it actually saw light of day. As I say, the original record is not in very good condition but I wonder if it has any value, particularly on account of the signature. Incidentally, I'm still kicking myself over giving away my copy of Suite London many years ago (although I can still console myself with a very scratchy cassette recording). Congratulations on your first-class website and warmest regards to Peddlers fans everywhere!
Derek
20 March 2004
12:07:25

[quote in reply]

Re:Heavy on the Light Side

Hi David,

Re:- "Heavy On The Light Side" The only copy of this album I have seen was on the ebay auction site and I was going to bid for it but it got too expensive (about £80 I think) and I think it was described as a test pressing.

I also have heard that it was released in New Zealand (where Roy is now reported to be living) under the name of "Mr Peddler"

(anyone out there please correct me if the information I have got is wrong).

So this is an album which I myself still have to get but I think its pretty rare.

I too,like yourself, have not got my original copy of "Suite London" anymore, but someone very kindly has done me a cd copy. I’m still looking for a nice vinyl copy at a reasonable price.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Derek

Peter Horton
24 March 2004
19:41:19

[quote in reply]

This CD was on ebay 3 months ago and I bid 30 pounds. I think it went for 95 which I thought was a bit silly. The advert on ebay said the album had no release number suggesting it was not commercially available. That's about all I know. I am quite excited that you have a copy transferred to CD.

What about this then - I am not particularly a vinyl collector but have a copy of Suite London in excellent condition.

If you wanted Suite London and can get another copy of Heavy On The Light Side transferred to CD, I will do a straight trade with you but please also send say, 5 quid for post and packaging

Regards, Peter

David Ross
27 April 2004
15:03:21

[quote in reply]

Dear Derek,

Very many thanks for your e-mail about Heavy on the Light Side. Perhaps I could tape it for you? I'm delighted to say that I've now got a copy of Suite London and am now concentrating on tracking down a copy of the recent (deleted) CD featuring both Live at the Pickwick and Three For All. I've got both albums up in the loft (along with Live in London) gathering dust but haven't got a deck to play them on any more and suspect that they're a bit scratchy in any case.

Best wishes and thanks again for the interest.

Derek Wales
27 April 2004
17:35:09

[quote in reply]

David Ross wrote:

> Dear Derek,

> Very many thanks for your e-mail about Heavy on the Light Side. Perhaps I could tape it for you? I'm delighted to say that I've now got a copy of Suite London and am now concentrating on tracking down a copy of the recent (deleted) CD featuring both Live at the Pickwick and Three For All. I've got both albums up in the loft (along with Live in London) gathering dust but haven't got a deck to play them on any more and suspect that they're a bit scratchy in any case.

> Best wishes and thanks again for the interest.

Hi David,

Thanks for reply, I would love a copy thank you. I have sent you an email.

Cheers

Derek

Rob
11 December 2006
17:36:21

[quote in reply]

I don't remember who now, but someone from here sent me a 'burnt to disc' copy of Heavy On The Light Side. Not the best quality, and has a couple skips, but I LOVE this album. Been playing it alot lately. Does anyone know the year it was recorded? I'm guessing mid-70s, but would like to know exactly what year, if possible. Thanks.

Del
12 December 2006
16:27:28

[quote in reply]

Rob wrote:

>

> I don't remember who now, but someone from here sent me a 'burnt to disc' copy of Heavy On The Light Side. Not the best quality, and has a couple skips, but I LOVE this album. Been playing it alot lately. Does anyone know the year it was recorded? I'm guessing mid-70s, but would like to know exactly what year, if possible. Thanks.

1976 Rob according to my album "Mr Peddler" which was the NZ release name for the same album. The UK album has no date on.

Best wishes

Del

Del
12 December 2006
16:30:14

[quote in reply]

1976 Rob according to my "Mr Peddler" album which was the NZ release of the same album. The UK album has no date on.

Best wishes

Del

Rob
19 December 2006
05:10:58

[quote in reply]

Del wrote:

1976 Rob according to my "Mr Peddler" album which was the NZ release of the same album. The UK album has no date on.

Best wishes

Del

Thanks for the year. I knew it had to be mid 70s. There's a copy on ebay right now.....I didn't realize the CDR that I have is missing a song.....Three Thoughts Ago. Is that an instrumental? If anyone would like to send me a decent sounding CDR of the entire album, please e-mail me to possibly set up a trade....I'm in the USA, tho.....thanks! Been loving this album more with each listen.

Pete D
01 March 2010
14:31:12

[quote in reply]

The NZ "Mr Peddler" LP on Warner Bros. is still titled "Heavy on the light side" on the labels.
Del
03 March 2010
09:57:42

[quote in reply]

Pete D wrote:

> The NZ "Mr Peddler" LP on Warner Bros. is still titled "Heavy on the light side" on the labels.

Yes that is correct Pete. Although the sleeve says "Mr Peddler" the label on the vinyl does say "Heavy On The Light Side"

The odd thing is that "Heavy On The Light Side" UK version has track 3 on side two listed as "Three Thoughts Ago" but it is in fact "Make My Day"

The "Mr Peddler" NZ release of the same album has track 3 on side two listed as "Make My Day" but is in fact "Three Thoughts Ago"

The UK version which I understand was never released here is on a "Wild Cherry" label. I wonder if that is the same company as "Cherry Red" which are still manufacturing albums here.

Fortunately I have both albums of which the UK version is signed by Roy.

Del

Del
03 March 2010
10:00:55

[quote in reply]

Pete D wrote:

> The NZ "Mr Peddler" LP on Warner Bros. is still titled "Heavy on the light side" on the labels.

Yes that is correct Pete. Although the sleeve says "Mr Peddler" the label on the vinyl does say "Heavy On The Light Side"

The odd thing is that "Heavy On The Light Side" UK version has track 3 on side two listed as "Three Thoughts Ago" but it is in fact "Make My Day"

The "Mr Peddler" NZ release of the same album has track 3 on side two listed as "Make My Day" but is in fact "Three Thoughts Ago"

The UK version which I understand was never released here is on a "Wild Cherry" label. I wonder if that is the same company as "Cherry Red" which are still manufacturing albums here.

Fortunately I have both albums of which the UK version is signed by Roy.

Del

Roy Phillips
04 March 2010
18:12:51

[quote in reply]

Hi folks,

Been reading the forum with great interest, regarding the 'HEAVY ON THE LIGHT SIDE' album. 1972 was the year it was recorded. Mike Claydon on sliders, recorded at I.B.C Studio. Portland Place, London. I have a good friend here in Christchurch, N.Z who will convert the album onto C.D

It'll take a little while, as I am busy rehearsing for a concert tour of 'PEDDLERS REVISITED' with Bruce Kerr on bass's and Micky Ututaonga on drums. Also in the middle

on recording a tribute to an old buddy Billy Peston, back on the Hammond again.

Watch out on John an Roy's site

and Dereck Wales 'My space' and my own web-site

www.royphillips.org

We at Robyn Promotions will get a special product ready for all those interested in' HEAVEY ON THE LIGHT SIDE'

Incidentaly, Paul Johnston and I did all the backing tracks for that project.

Thanks for your interest.

Love

Roy

jürginio
13 March 2010
20:39:18

[quote in reply]

yoooooo! roy! thanx for the infos! so do i understand that correct that you release some old - new stuff?

have a nice evening

cherers from germany

jürgen

Rob
08 May 2010
05:26:13

[quote in reply]

Looking forward to buying a copy of your CD transfer of HOTLS, Roy! Do let us know when it's ready...
* Messages in this forum
* Forum topics

The opinions expressed in the forums are those of the poster and not neccesarily those of the editors. Please report abuse of this site to the webmaster.