The Peddlers

Search:
Latest Update

31 January 2021

Addition to Galleries Page - Personal Collection.  Thanks to Dave Stewart.

7 July 2020

Addition to Galleries page - Peddlers on Dutch TV.  Thanks to Terry Sinett.

13 May 2020

Thanks to Terry Sinnett for additions to Galleries page.

10 October 2018

Great New Roy Phillips album, "Standard Procedure 1"

A set of songs given the classic Peddlers treatment includes "Summertime", "Got My Mojo Working", "Let It Be" and a live version of "My Way" recorded in 1974 by the Peddlers in Amsterdam.

now available from Roy's website

www.royphillips.org  

8 April 2017

Thanks to our friend Bas Mollenkramer for these images of the ultra rare

French release of 'Suite London'

See Galleries

8 March 2013

New image sent in by Jurgen Degasperi!

See Galleries

13 July 2012

Live Photos 1976-1980

See Galleries

15 June 2012

'Southern Woman'

TV clip added to Discography

See 'Birthday'

5 June 2012

New Gallery Page

6 Sept 2007

Ladies and gentlemen,
The Peddlers

24 Sept 2007 

Roy's New CD

Dancing With Shadows

19 August 2006

Suite London

15 April 2006

'Suite London' now on cd! Order here    

7 March 2006

Tis' here enjoy

Click the above link for Roy Phillip's new album! and DVD

Peddlers Forum

[Add a reply]Add a reply
*Back to index

Chat about The Peddlers

Page 1 of 3Pages: >1< 2 3
Let's get talking
Peter Horton
07 April 2017
21:34:22

[quote in reply]

The website has gone so quiet! We all have our own memories of this unique band called The Peddlers. To get things going, what is your absolute favorite Peddlers track and what is there about it that makes it so special to you? Come on, let's get talking!
Roy
09 April 2017
09:20:50

[quote in reply]

Saw the Peddlers for the first time at the Cavendish Club Sheffield in 1967, the show was brilliant so within days went out and bought Freewheelers LP.

The opening track is Time After Time and every time I hear it I go back to 1967.

Love all their music and it's hard to pick a favourite but Time After Time is my choice.

Peter Horton
09 April 2017
19:27:21

[quote in reply]

Nice choice Roy and thanks for your reply. A friend of mine was compere at La Dolce Vita in Birmingham and I got a complimentary ticket to see them in 1971. I was only 19 at the time and did not then fully appreciate how brilliant they were. The singles Birth & Girlie were in my collection but it was Girlie that was always my firm favorite and it continues to be. It was 30 years later when I bought the How Cool Is Cool CD that I really discovered The Peddlers properly. So Girlie is my choice, any more offers?? Let's get talking!
Terry Sinnett
14 April 2017
16:55:50

[quote in reply]

Hi Peter - good effort!

I was hooked when I saw the boys perform BIRTH on TOTP and I then went to see them live at the Top Rank in Swansea. I was hooked! Absolutely loved Girlie/PS.

Lucky enough to see them live at least 3 times? after, including a memorable New Years Eve in 1970? when I sat at their table as their guest - a long story!!

Rarely a few days go by without playing something from their wide repertoire. Not possible to pick an absolute favourite but currently playing This Masquerade from Live in Amsterdam, which although not featuring Tab and Trevor, is a great piece. Still don't understand how they could be called The Peddlers for that gig without 2 members, but a great feast of music nevertheless!

Waiting for Del's response....

Keep the faith and greetings to all from Wales

Peter Horton
14 April 2017
21:25:38

[quote in reply]

Thanks Terry for your excellent comments! I hadn't played Live In Amsterdam for a long time but played This Masquerade to remind me how good it is. Wonderful stuff! You sat at The Peddlers table 1970! Terry we need to hear more about that mate, can you fill us in on the details, sounds like something you have clearly never forgotten, we need to know a bit more! Must press you on this but can you commit yourself to an all time Peddlers track no matter how hard that might be? And yes I am looking forward to Del's response. The whole world is looking forward to Del's response! Could also do with Roy Phillips response to his all time favorite Peddlers track. You never know...... Any more offers on your best Peddlers track? Let's get talking.
Del
16 April 2017
09:59:03

[quote in reply]

Peter Horton wrote:

> The website has gone so quiet! We all have our own memories of this unique band called The Peddlers. To get things going, what is your absolute favorite Peddlers track and what is there about it that makes it so special to you? Come on, let's get talking!

First of all thank you Peter for rustling up some input to this site which deserves more discussion as Roy & John have created a wonderful base for Peddlers fans.

Now for the hard bit, so many great tracks its very hard to pick just one. For a long time "Girl Talk" was my favourite but since being a fan of Breaking Bad, "On a Clear Day" sums up for me just how good the Peddler's were and is probably the track I would play to friends who have never heard the Peddler's before. I have done a cd compilation to play in the car of my favourite tracks which I could list if anyone is interested.

One can only imagine what heights Roy, Tab & Trevor would have reached if they had not disbanded when they did. They were huge in their day and respected by so many top musicians. I for one am so glad that Roy is still recording and playing live' shows and long may it last.

Peter Horton
16 April 2017
21:51:01

[quote in reply]

Thank you Del for your very meaningful comments. I have to agree that On A Clear Day is one of those perfectly executed tracks which makes it a Peddlers favorite. It is certainly well up there in my Peddlers all time greats. Yes it is so good that Roy is still turning out some quality music which I am sure Peddlers fans find so encouraging. Only recently have I caught on to Blue Groove which was actually released in 2014 so I am behind the times! I have just ordered the CD from Roy's website and looking forward to receiving it soon. The title track which for me needed a few plays is now one of my favorite Roy Phillips tracks. If you haven't seen the Blue Groove video on Roy's site, you need to, it is superb! So we have now got a few replies. Who will be next to add their favorite Peddlers track? Come on, let's keep this going - Let's get talking.
Del
17 April 2017
10:01:46

[quote in reply]

Ok Here's the compilation of my favourite Peddler's tracks.

Makes a great Cdr for the car.

1/ String of Pearls

2/ Time After Time

3/ Girl Talk

4/ Smile

5/ Empty Club Blues

6/ On a Clear Day You Can See Forever

7/ People

8/ In the Still of the Night

9/ Ebb Tide

10/ Lost Continent

11/ Prime of My Life

12/ Southern Woman

13/ Girlie PS I Love You

14/ City Living

15/ Birth

16/ Love For Sale

17/ Son

18/ Working Again

19/ Tell The World Were Not In

20/ Love Story

21/ Locksheen Pudding

Peter Horton
18 April 2017
16:35:50

[quote in reply]

What a fabulous CD you have put together there Del! Thanks for sharing that with us. Six tracks you mention are among my favorites and they are Smile, People, Prime Of My Life, Girlie, Tell The World We're Not In and Working Again.

I would also have to add these further six tracks to my favorites compilation. Me & Mrs Jones from Live In London, I Can See Clearly Now from Live In Amsterdam, Handel With Care, Say No More, Let Me Be Turned To Stone and the Live At The Pickwick version of What'll I Do.

So who is next to share their favorites with us. Come on, let's keep talking.

Del
19 April 2017
12:05:19

[quote in reply]

Peter Horton wrote:

> What a fabulous CD you have put together there Del! Thanks for sharing that with us. Six tracks you mention are among my favorites and they are Smile, People, Prime Of My Life, Girlie, Tell The World We're Not In and Working Again.

> I would also have to add these further six tracks to my favorites compilation. Me & Mrs Jones from Live In London, I Can See Clearly Now from Live In Amsterdam, Handel With Care, Say No More, Let Me Be Turned To Stone and the Live At The Pickwick version of What'll I Do.

> So who is next to share their favorites with us. Come on, let's keep talking.

Another favourite track of mine is "Send In The Clowns" from Live' in Amsterdam. I just love the arrangement on that one. Its a real shame that the sound quality of that album is not better. Roy did mention once that he had the original master tapes somewhere but I guess he never found them!

John
19 April 2017
18:41:03

[quote in reply]

An impossible decision but the first track that came to mind was 'Empty Club Blues' and for something a bit different how about 'Where have all the Flowers Gone?'

Peter Horton
20 April 2017
16:39:27

[quote in reply]

It's interesting that the last two posts have included two less likely Peddlers tracks, Where Have All The Flowers Gone and Send in The Clowns. Thanks for your input. Has anyone else got tracks they enjoy which do't get so much of a mention?.

It's also interesting that Empty Club Blues has had several mentions in this chat session. Clearly of the favorites!

So Roy has the master tapes hidden away of Live In Amsterdam. Tell him to get busy searching Del, we could all do with a nice CD release to look forward to. Dream on!

Please can we keep this going, it's good we're comparing notes on The Peddlers and hearing which tracks we get a kick from. Who's next then? - keep talking....

Peter Horton
02 May 2017
22:25:36

[quote in reply]

It's all gone very quiet again! Let me tell you my Peddlers news. I sold my copy of Live In Amsterdam a few years ago and immediately regretted it. In the last ten minutes I have just bought another copy on the net for £40. A few weeks ago I bought a French version copy of Suite London for £28 and a few weeks before that a very nice signed copy of Heavy On The Light Side also for £28. It would probably make more sense if I had a record player! It's just nice to have these rare copies of these masterpieces. Anyway is anybody else gonna share their favorite Peddlers tracks with us. What about our readers from the continent? We need to hear from you. We need to hear from any Peddlers fan. We need to keep talking about this superb group because the sounds are as good as they were in the 60's and 70's. What's your favorite and what memories does it hold for you?
Terry Sinnett
06 May 2017
13:25:02

[quote in reply]

Hi Peter

Sorry for delay in reply.

I'll revert on your post as soon as I can.

Kind regards

Terry

Peter Horton
08 May 2017
22:36:17

[quote in reply]

No apologies for these regular posts - I am just on a Peddlers high! This is not strictly Peddlers but definitely Peddlers related, i.e. Roy Phillips. Until a few weeks ago I had never heard Roy's single Step By Step and B side All Girl Planet. Del sent me these after I requested them. Now I have played them a few times I think they are superb especially the B side which is an absolute riot! They are a million miles away from The Peddlers we know. Does anyone else rate them or is it me going through a crisis in life?

Also I am three years behind the times but I have just bought the Blue Groove CD. What do we think of the title track and the video on the Roy Phillips website. I think it is amazing, what about you? One track on the album I think is magnificent is Perfect. Don't you think it is just perfect! Such class, such excellent lyrics. This really needs to be heard, Roy Phillips at his very best. And what about Nothing's Gonna Change! - amazing.

Come on - let's get talking.

Peter Horton
12 May 2017
21:18:11

[quote in reply]

Anyone remember 'What Happened To The Good Times'?
Peter Horton
12 May 2017
21:21:37

[quote in reply]

Try that again.... Anyone remember 'Whatever Happened To The Good Times'?
Del
15 May 2017
10:02:29

[quote in reply]

Peter Horton wrote:

> No apologies for these regular posts - I am just on a Peddlers high! This is not strictly Peddlers but definitely Peddlers related, i.e. Roy Phillips. Until a few weeks ago I had never heard Roy's single Step By Step and B side All Girl Planet. Del sent me these after I requested them. Now I have played them a few times I think they are superb especially the B side which is an absolute riot! They are a million miles away from The Peddlers we know. Does anyone else rate them or is it me going through a crisis in life?

> Also I am three years behind the times but I have just bought the Blue Groove CD. What do we think of the title track and the video on the Roy Phillips website. I think it is amazing, what about you? One track on the album I think is magnificent is Perfect. Don't you think it is just perfect! Such class, such excellent lyrics. This really needs to be heard, Roy Phillips at his very best. And what about Nothing's Gonna Change! - amazing.

> Come on - let's get talking.

>

Agree Peter, "Blue Groove" is a superb track and the album as a whole is great. The Puppet video that Paul made is very good too, a real labour of love as it must have taken ages to do.

"Whatever Happened To The Good Times" ? Yes, remember it well. In today's troubled world this is a good title to reflect on!

I was working in Acton in the late 60's (The good old day's) and a shop owner nearby put me on to the Peddler's who I had not heard of at the time. I was hooked and that was the start of my expanded music tastes. Instead of just a Beatles/Shadows/Stones type fan It opened up different types/styles of music for me, jazz especially and made me appreciate top class musicianship which the Peddler's demonstrated to a very high class. I will forever be grateful to Don who loaned me his vinyl albums back then

Peter Horton
15 May 2017
21:52:36

[quote in reply]

Thanks for those memories of how you discovered the Peddlers Del. One of my early memories is recording Tell The World We're Not In on my reel-to-reel tape tape recorder when it was played on TV, probably on Top Of The Pops. That amazing Hammond organ sound was what drew me to The Peddlers from early days. I played it over and over for many years. Fabulous!

To anyone listening - What are your Peddlers memories - let's get talking.

Peter Horton
17 May 2017
20:17:24

[quote in reply]

Lockshen Pudding? Not one of my favorite tracks. What on earth though is Lockshen Pudding? Any offers?

Next Page
* Messages in this forum
* Forum topics

The opinions expressed in the forums are those of the poster and not neccesarily those of the editors. Please report abuse of this site to the webmaster.